Thursday, June 3, 2010

Rashidabad

I recently got a chance to visit Rashidabad, 30 minutes from Hyderabad, and I was blown away to see a fully functional mini-city (a free eye hospital, 2 subsidized/free secondary level schools, 1 public school, a hostel for students and orphans, an old people's home, a mosque, apartments for the teachers and administration, and a hospital under construction) in a place where the terrain is parched, the people are poorer than poor, children are undernourished and education is a distant priority.
I had heard a lot about Rashidabad before i visited it. And frankly my cynicism ruled my perception of the descriptions i was given. Well... there are few things in life that have changed my initial judgement of them... and Rashidabad has done just that. Rashidabad does provide the underprivileged of our country a new lease on life.

One visit and I can't stop thinking of how I can contribute to such a humane cause. I am a changed man.

No comments: